Partial Release of a Judgment in Texas

If you own a homestead, a judgment against you can cloud title to the property but a Partial Release of the Judgment as it pertains to your homestead only may be sufficient for your title company.  You can obtain this release without even needing the creditor’s cooperation pursuant to a new provision in the Texas Property Code.

Many creditors will file what is called an abstract of judgment.  This abstract of judgment is generally filed in the real property records of the county where the judgment was obtained.  In order to release the abstract, you must have the creditor sign a complete release and have it filed in the real property records to release the abstract of judgment or you can file your own partial release of the lien and file it after complying with the procedures in the statute.

Partial releases must be executed and filed perfectly pursuant to the statute and it is not recommended to do this without the assistance of a licensed attorney. 

If you have a judgment that was rendered against you, please contact the law firm of Weston Legal PLLC by calling, emailing, or completing the contact form on this page.  We offer flat fees and payment plans.

Get Help Now


City Links

Michael Weston provides Judgment Defense in all cities of Texas, USA :


Fill out my online form.


Read more Testimonials »